welcome :)

Welcome to my blog! enjoy :)

About Me

My photo
I am a Junior at UMD. I am a Community Health Major with a Psychology Minor. I love meeting new people and am always up for a good time :)

Monday, October 12, 2009

Eye Opener: CSPI

CSPI, which stands for the Center for Science in the Public Interest is something I was not aware of until just now. The organization focuses on nutrition and health, the alchol policy, and food safety. I decided to Tour the Food Supply and found some shocking statistics. 


I learned that in 2002 alone 140 million cattle, sheep, and pigs were slaughtered in the United States and 9 billion chickens and turkeys were killed. Statistics from http://www.cspinet.org/EatingGreen/tour.html show that this converts to 30 birds for every American. I also learned that diets rich in Dairy products and meat products have a greater obesity rate because it can make you have high blood pressure, an increase risk of having type 2 diabetes, heart disease or cancer.

  A very shocking thing I found was that there are over 1,000 Americans that die each year from food bourne illnesses.Also, less than one quarter of americans eat the recommended servings of fruit and vegetables. 

Another interesting statistic I  found is that foods such as hamburgers, egg yolks, whole milk, and other fatty meat and dairy products can lead to some types of cancer and then saturated fats and cholesterol in these products 50,000 to 75,000 fatal heart attacks annually.


These are all shocking statistics I was unaware about. I am glad I am more educated on these topics and will continue looking at this page in my spare time. I realize it is important to "eat green". Organic foods can be pretty spendy, but I realize I should cut down on some meets. I learned how much the U.S. food supply is hurting our country and I feel it is an issue more people should be aware of.




2 comments:

  1. Incredible statistics! Thanks for pointing those out. I find those very interesting as well! I didn't know that the meat industry had such an impact on our environment, so I'm going to try and pick my meat selection more closely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are some huge impacts on our lives that some of those foods have. It is definitely important to monitor what you eat and know where it comes from!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog