welcome :)

Welcome to my blog! enjoy :)

About Me

My photo
I am a Junior at UMD. I am a Community Health Major with a Psychology Minor. I love meeting new people and am always up for a good time :)

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Advocacy Project: Letter to Public Official


December 7, 2009
Senator Amy Klobuchar
United States Senate
302 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510-2304


Honorable Senator Amy Klobuchar,
My name is Carrie Jones. I am a student at the University of Minnesota Duluth and am currently enrolled in Environmental Health. I was assigned to choose a topic that interested me and report back on my findings. I chose arthritis because I have watched too many people suffer from this disease.
More than 46 million people (of all ages) in America are victims to some form of arthritis, America’s most common cause of disability. This disease puts limitations on work and every day activities due to pain, aches and stiffness around the joints. I am strongly encouraging you to vote “yes” to H.R.1210: To amend the Public Health Service Act to provide for arthritis research and public health. This is a problem worldwide that needs to end. I strongly believe this bill is the path to success.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, (CDC) every year arthritis is the cause of 992,100 hospitalizations and 44 million outpatients, which results in $128 billion medical bills. Unfortunately these numbers are expected to rise to 67 million by 2030 if we do not take action. I believe passing this bill will lower the rates of arthritis and get people more educated on the proper precautions to avoid the risk of getting the disease.

There are ways to address arthritis such as proper exercises and weight control but many people are either unaware of this, or they do not take the correct steps. One in every five children suffers with arthritis. This shows we need to do something about this problem and make sure everyone is educated, starting at an early age.

This bill has been introduced and referred to the House of Energy and Commerce committee but still has four steps to go in order to be signed by the president. I strongly encourage you vote “Yes” to H.R. 1210 so we can get on the proper path to success. If you have any questions, please, feel free to contact me. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Carrie Jones
(Contact information)


1 comment:

Search This Blog