welcome :)

Welcome to my blog! enjoy :)

About Me

My photo
I am a Junior at UMD. I am a Community Health Major with a Psychology Minor. I love meeting new people and am always up for a good time :)

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Eye Opener: Online Learning Activities


Advocacy Project: How Safe Are Our Beaches?
By Danielle's Dandy Environment

INSTRUCTIONS: Read and analyze the three websites listed above and answer the following questions.

1. List at least 3 types of disease-causing germs that can be found in recreational waters.
Infectious diseases= Giardia, Campylobacter nd Shingella
2. Who monitors the bacteria at swimming beaches in Minnesota?

Minnesota Pollutoin Control Agency
3. What are some major causes of water pollution?

StormWater Pollution, sewage spills, natural resources
4. What are ways that we can do our part to prevent water pollution at beaches?

Do not swim when you hvae diarhea, do not swallow pool water, practice good hygiene, take kids on bathroom beaks and change diapers in the bathrom, wash child thoroughly with soap.
5. Reflect on what you thought about this subject and what it means to you.

I live on Lake Minnetonka so I have heard of these diseases. I have always known not to eat more than one fish ut of the lke per year because the fish in the lake have so much mercuty in them. I have also ben taught to take a shower after you get out of the lake. Danielle had some really great information and some very educational websites!




Advocacy Project: Inform, Crossword Puzzle, Act!

 
By Rita's Realm
 
Instructions:
First, read through the information I have gathered from different sources that I thought may get your attention due to this disease. Second, go through the crossword puzzle and see how much you learned. If you get stuck on a question, go to this link to help you. Third, take some action!!
 

ACROSS
4


Type of surgery that can result in weight gain afterwards
5


Classifications of this disease
7


Adulthood obesity



My Answers accross



4. Bariatric


5. Two


7. Hypertrophic






My Answers down:


1. Genetics


2. Hyperplastic


3. Baby Boomers


6. Obesity


My Reaction: I am very intersted in this topic so I really enjoyed reading Ritas post and completing her activity. Obesity is clearly a big problem in the United States and as health educators, it is our job to help educate these people on ways they can change their poor habits.


DOWN
1


Not the only determinant of this disease
2


Childhood obesity
3


This generation might be the first to outlive their children's generation
6

Epidemic in our society

 

2 comments:

Search This Blog